These Spicy Crunchy Cookies are an old family favourite. This recipe was scribbled on a loose tatty piece of paper over 20 years ago and I can’t even remember where I got it from. It was continuously getting lost in-between my cookbooks for years, so I’m actually really relieved to have it finally on here & throw that paper away. It’s a great recipe for kids too and perfect for these winter months when home comforts are truly appreciated.
Why not also try : Moroccan Cinnamon & Banana Cake, you can also adapt this to a gluten free diet by substituting the flour with almond flour 😉
I would recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Powder for Gluten-Free Baking. It’s available at amazon.com for $10.20. Unfortunately, I can’t find any on amazon.co.uk but you can get Doves Farm – Organic Gluten Free Baking Powder for only 3.97 UK pounds.
This Spicy Crunchy cookies recipe can make 12 large cookies or up to 24 smaller ones. Bear in mind, the desired size will differ the cooking time & texture preference.
Gluten-Free Spicy Crunchy Cookies
- 1 cup flour (almond flour)
- 1 cup cornflakes (almond flakes or coconut flakes)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup butter softned
- 1/2 cup brown suger (organic coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (erythritol)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (organic unsweetened)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free) we use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves optional
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger optional
- In a large bowl cream together butter, peanut butter, sugar and egg until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes, then beat in the vanilla & spices
- Sift the flour into the creamed mixture and combine with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Gently stir in the oats followed by the flakes you're using. Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour or even overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll into about 1 inch balls and place about 3 inches apart on the tray, lightly flour a flat bottomed glass and flatten the dough balls until they are about 1cm in height.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool before serving.