This Moroccan Chicken Marinade Recipe is so delicious and so easy to make. It boasts unique warm and zesty flavours that will have you coming back for more and is so versatile that you can use it in so many ways.
What’s In This Marinade?
This marinade consists of onion, garlic, lemon, cinnamon, ginger and salt and pepper. It comes all together with some extra virgin olive oil and is given a vibrant golden-yellow colour with saffron or turmeric. The perfect blend of spices sends your taste buds wondrously crazy in surprise from the first bite.
How Can This Chicken Marinade Be Used?
This marinade recipe is perfect for Moroccan Chicken Tagine, Shish Tawook or any BBQ-style chicken or Chicken Kebab. Chicken shish kebab is called Qodban d’jaaj in Moroccan. This version of Chicken Shish Kebab, Tawouk or Taouk is a succulent and tender Moroccan side dish, made from marinated chicken breast and usually barbequed over a coal fire. If you do not have the option of barbequing in your home, you can use an electric grill or broiler, or grill pan.
Moroccan Chicken Fillets – Filiti
Moroccans also have another way of using this amazing chicken marinade. They make Moroccan chicken filiti by slicing the chicken breast horizontally into thin slices and marinating the chicken in the same way. This type of chicken is commonly shallow fried in a pan for a softer succulent & juicy flavour. It is not traditionally battered but if you stripped these chicken slices and dipped them in some egg wash and then some flour and/or breadcrumbs, you will have a phenomenal & unique Moroccan Fried Chicken.
NOTE: Chicken must be marinated for at least 4 hours if not the whole night. This marinade is the same one used for the popular Moroccan Chicken Tagine.
Any of these salads would go beautifully with this Moroccan Chicken.
Moroccan Chicken Marinade Recipe
- 1 Onion diced small
- 1 cup ½ batch of fresh coriander washed and chopped very finely.
- 1 cup ½ batch of fresh parsley washed and chopped very finely
- 2 Garlic Cloves grated or minced
- 1 Whole lemon Juiced
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Saffron powder if you don't have saffron you can use Tumeric or Haldi
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts washed in salt lemon & vinegar then cut into cubes
- 1 tblsp Olive oil mixed with 1-2 tblsp of normal cooking oil
- 1 Red, Green or Yellow Bell Pepper (or a mix of all 3) cut into large squares (optional)
- ½ Onion sliced into squares
- You can also use courgette or aubergine if desired to add to the skewers. sliced into ½ cm rounds (optional)
- Prepare the chicken breasts by washing and rubbing on some salt and vinegar, then set a side
- Prepare your seasoning and chop your onion, garlic, and greens
- Place the herbs and seasoning together with the lemon juice and oil into a mixing bowl then mix to form a marinade.
- Then the prepared chicken cubes and mix well until all the chicken is generously smothered
- You can also add any veggies at this point to absorb the spices for fuller flavour
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 4hrs if not the whole night.
- When you're ready to cook it, you can either grill it on skewers, stir fry it for a salad, or oven bake. Some people partly oven bake before shallow frying on a skillet to make it a bit softer and slightly crispy. if you don't have a BBQ.
- This is a great addition to any BBQ but if you don't have a BBQ you can also use an electric grill or broiler.