When I say Arabic-style lamb and chickpea curry, in this case, I just mean non-chilli really 😉
I have always been a big fan of curry and Pakistani food, and so I made it my duty to always get as many cooking lessons as possible from my Pakistani neighbours and friends.
When I would move home, I would always make the effort to send food to my neighbours on Eid or Ramadhan, and most of the time I always got something delicious back 😉
This is a beautiful curry recipe I picked up from my old friend Parveen, back when I was living in Oxford. I just leave the green chillies out when I’m cooking for my Arabic friends, family & kids. But of course, when I have the opportunity to just cook for myself, I add the green chillies for that extra zing!
This recipe is good for keto too, you can choose the leave the chickpeas out in this case and maybe serve with cauliflower rice instead. Let me know how you get on!
If you like Pakistani food, try this delicious Rasmali Recipe for dessert!
Arabic Lamb and Chickpea Curry
- 0.5 kg Halal Lamb (pref from the leg) Washed & cut into
- 1 tin Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Large onions chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 4 Fresh Tomatoes peeled & chopped
- 1 batch Fresh Spinach washed and chopped very finely.
- 1/2 batch Fresh Mint washed and chopped very finely.
- 1 batch Fresh Coriander washed and chopped very finely.
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Haldi/Tumeric
- Heat the pan over medium-low heat and then add the ghee
- When the ghee melts add the onions, ginger & garlic paste then cook for a few minutes
- Add the lamb pieces and cook until brown on all sides.
- Add the tomatoes (add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity), spices and coriander then continue to cook whilst stirring often for 1 or 2 mins
- Then add the water and simmer on low heat until the lamb is soft and tender.
- Then add the chickpeas and let the mixture come to a boil before you reduce the heat and simmer for a further 5-10mins until the sauce has reduced to desired consistency.
- Serve hot with rice or naan. 😉