Looking for a delicious finger food option for picnics or a flavourful side dish to complement any main course? Look no further! These spicy vegetable fritters are the perfect solution.
They are quick to prepare, fairly easy to make, and can be customized to suit your family’s taste preferences and dietary needs. In this recipe, we strike the ideal balance between spice and flavour, ensuring they don’t turn out too hot while still offering a delightful kick. With the aromatic blend of coriander and parsley and the addition of colourful and crunchy vegetables, these fritters will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Let’s dive into the recipe and explore the possibilities of this versatile dish!
Ingredient Base for Spicy Vegetable Fritters
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (e.g., grated potato, grated carrots, chopped spinach, bell peppers)
- Water, as needed
- Oil, for frying
How to make Spicy Vegetable Fritters
- In a mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, gram flour, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and salt. Mix well to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the freshly chopped coriander leaves, parsley, and mixed vegetables to the flour mixture. This is where you can get creative and choose your preferred combination of vegetables. Grated carrots and chopped spinach work wonderfully, but feel free to experiment!
- Gradually add water to the mixture, stirring continuously, until you achieve a thick batter consistency. The batter should be thick enough to hold its shape when spooned, but not too runny.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Ensure the oil is sufficiently hot before frying.
- Take a spoonful of the vegetable batter and carefully drop it into the hot oil, shaping it into a small fritter. Repeat with more spoonfuls, leaving enough space between each fritter for even cooking.
- Fry the fritters until they turn golden brown and crispy on both sides. Flip them occasionally to ensure uniform browning. Once done, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the spicy vegetable fritters hot as a standalone snack, or as a delightful side dish to complement your main course. They pair wonderfully with mint chutney, tamarind sauce, or even a cooling yoghurt dip.
- Enjoy the burst of flavours and textures as you bite into these scrumptious fritters! Their versatility allows you to experiment with different variations, such as chicken nibbles, by substituting the vegetable mix with your choice of protein.
Remember, the spiciness can be adjusted according to your preference, making these fritters suitable for everyone in the family to enjoy. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and embark on a culinary adventure that will leave your taste buds singing with joy!
Note: Feel free to modify the recipe to accommodate any dietary restrictions or personal preferences.
If you like this recipe, you might also like this Lamb & Chickpea Curry!
Spicy Vegetable Fritters Recipe
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 fresh carrot grated optional
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 large potato grated or cut small and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 handful fresh chopped coriander & parsly
- or Paprica, if you don’t want it too chilli 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp onion seed
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- maybe more if needed 1 cup gram flour
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup water for mixing or maybe more if needed
- chop 1 or 2 green chillies, a handful of fresh coriander & parsley
- Put them into a mixing bowl then add your preferred grated/sliced veggies to the mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the spices with 1/2 cup self-raising flour and 1 cup gram flour.
- Add the 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp onion seeds to the flour bowl
- Then mix 1 egg into 1/2 cup of cold water and add to the flour mix.
- Stir it all together really well into a smooth batter (I do this with my hands but you can use a whisk or mixer if you prefer).
- Once you are happy with your batter, add the bowl of chopped/sliced veggies and thoroughly mix together.
- Once mixed, immediately deep fry in 1 heaped tablespoon portions of the mixture until crispy & golden in colour (I find it easier & less messy to pick up a small portion with my hand while putting it to fry)
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite dip.