Batata Harra is a Chilli Potato Salad that makes a delicious and vibrant side dish for BBQs, buffets and family dinners. The thing about this tangy chilli salad is that it pairs incredibly well with the mild, slightly sweet flavour of the fried potatoes.
The paprika in the Batata Harra provides that smoked pepper taste; while the lemon juice provides that touch of zing that gives this salad the perfect balance. The garlic adds that finishing note and the fresh peppers complete the texture. As for the fresh parsley, well that’s a must for every salad as far as I’m concerned, it adds colour, beauty as well as health benefits while balancing out the spice.
Batata Harra – Chilli Potato Salad
- 5 Medium potatoes peeled & chopped to medium-sized cubes
- 1/2 Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Crushed red chilli or you can use 2 Green Chillis chopped
- 1/2 Red or green pepper sliced in chunky squares
- 1/2 cup Chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil you can add more if needed
- 2 Garlic Cloves grated
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika optional
- Sumac Spice for garnishing optional
- chopped parsley for garnishing optional
- Peel, wash and chop the potatoes into medium sized cubes and then lightly deep fry until just turned brown then put aside
- In a large frying pan or wok, add the vegetable oil along with the grated garlic, and seasoning
- When it has heated and started to sizzle slightly add the chopped pepper & chilli and stir until slightly softened.
- Add the olive oil & lemon juice then turn off the heat. Stir in the fried potatoes and add the parsley until juices have mixed around the potatoes nicely.
- Leave to stand for at least 10-15 minutes so that the potatoe can absorb the marinade and flavour. Then serve and enjoy!